keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

liver values bad - link with saw palmetto

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Androgenetic Alopecia > liver values bad - link with saw palmetto
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:59 pm.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: Olga WNew Poster
Post Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:29 pm

hello,

i've been taking saw palmetto for a year almost
a blood test shows my liver values are not too good all of a sudden (never had a problem before)

does anybody taking saw palmetto recognize this ?
can it have a negatieve effect on your liver ?

thank you

o.w.

Author: dexterjacksonNew Poster
Post Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:01 am

hey bro

The same happened to me. I took procerin for 6 months and then i quit but still after 5 months of stopping procerin my liver values show an increase in ALT serum. The main ingredient in procerin being saw palmetto i think this is the culprit. I was taking 3 tablets a day which added up to 1500mg of saw palmetto. I think if you take something within the 360mg range it should be ok but iam not taking any risks with this anymore. My doctor says it will go away but iam not sure. I have started taking liv52 as a precautionary measure.

Hope it helps others using this herb. This is a nasty side effect. I dont know why others are not reporting it. Maybe they havent done a blood test.

Cheers
DJ

Author: horndjNew Poster
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:32 pm

Saw Palmetto Liver Damage

I also recently suffered liver damage from Saw Palmetto.

I would be interested in hearing how the others are recovering.

Author: eplinaExperienced Poster
Post Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:09 pm

SO sorry for your guys. isn't there a warning /side effects mention in the perscrpation?

Author: spstrikenNew Poster
Post Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:13 pm

saw palmetto

I used SP for 4 months and now completely destroyed. It destroyed my prostate, liver and God know what else. PLEASE TELL AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE THIS IS NOT A MEDICINE, BUT A POISON. It attacks cells and destroy them. After 9 months quiting it still suffering. I don't know when and how we will recover. I am using Honey and feeling some improvement though very slow. I wish you all the best

Author: horndjNew Poster
Post Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:20 pm

Saw Palmetto Liver Damage

I was under the care of a physician and had regular blood tests and diagnostics for liver failure, pancreatic cancer, gall stones etc.

The protocol that they use systematically eliminates all causes until you are left with looking at something that you ingested or an environmental cause. All testing was negative so what was left as possibilities was Saw Palmetto and an antibiotic called Augmentin that can cause liver damage in extremely rare cases. It is basically Amoxicilan (the bubble gum medicine that we give to our kids) with an added ingredient.

There is no testing to confirm one or the other. Personally, I believe that the SM and the Augmentin worked together to cause the liver damage because I had taken SM with no trouble for a couple of years and I had Amoxicilian many times in my life.

Anyway, the jaundice went away in a couple of weeks and my liver completely regenerated after two months. I don't take Saw Palmetto any more and I use an alternate antibiotic, and only when absolutely necessary.

Author: spstrikenNew Poster
Post Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:50 pm

quote:
Originally posted by dexterjacksonhey bro

The same happened to me. I took procerin for 6 months and then i quit but still after 5 months of stopping procerin my liver values show an increase in ALT serum. The main ingredient in procerin being saw palmetto i think this is the culprit. I was taking 3 tablets a day which added up to 1500mg of saw palmetto. I think if you take something within the 360mg range it should be ok but iam not taking any risks with this anymore. My doctor says it will go away but iam not sure. I have started taking liv52 as a precautionary measure.

Hope it helps others using this herb. This is a nasty side effect. I dont know why others are not reporting it. Maybe they havent done a blood test.

Cheers
DJ

Hi

are you still havnig troubel with you liver?
Did you also suffer from Errectile dysfunction and low Testosterone?
Saw Palmetto is very dangrous herb and a lot of people use it.

Page 1 of 1

Reply to topic
Jump to: