keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

Minoxidil 5% for women?

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Diagnosis / Decisions > Minoxidil 5% for women?
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:30 am.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Minoxidil 5% for women?
Author: fornickelsNovice Poster
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:22 pm

Minoxidil 5% for women?

This may be a really stupid question but I was just trying to buy minoxidil 5% for women and realized that it's not available yet for us over the counter. At least not where I could find it. I only found it in men's formula. I just started Spiro and my doctor recommended that i go off of Thymuskin and back on Rogaine, but I'd like to go from 2% to the 5% because I've been reading that women have a better response than men do.
I've also read that the reason it hasn't been approved for women at that level is because sometimes women will start growing hairs out of their foreheads. Is this the case? I read this can be eliminated by taking the % down a little, but how do you do this, dilute it with water? It wasn't clear in the articles I found.

I guess my real question is, Is it safe for a women to take 5% men's formula minoxidil?

thanks kevin or whomever responds.
Nicole

Author: Jane sExperienced Poster
Post Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:18 pm

One of the dermatologists I've seen provided me with a prescription for 5% minoxidil for when/if I decide to try it. He only uses 5% stuff with his patients.
At the moment, I'm only using it on my eyebrows. It doesn't seem to have done much, I'm certainly not having any hair growing in unusual places on my forehead, and i've been using it for two years or more.

Author: fornickelsNovice Poster
Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:28 pm

ok great, thanks for the reply, i wonder tho, why you needed a prescription? could you have just bought the over the counter 5% for men? or is that a different formulation?
i certainly don't want to be applying something that is formulated especially for men and will give me some adverse affects. I guess i assumed it all was just 5% minoxidil and nothing else.
good to know, thanks jane

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:21 pm

I was offered a prescription, as it would be cheaper to get it that way. Most GPs can only give a private prescription for it in the UK, which works out about the same cost as just buying it, but as my consultants hospital makes its own in the *, they can offer it on an NHS prescription.

Post Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:25 pm

Unfortunately I can only get it cheaply by travelling into London to the hospital - so I just buy the over the counter stuff for my brows.

Author: adminSite Admin
Post Sat Mar 24, 2007 8:48 pm

Officially %% minoxidil is not for women. At 5% women are more likely to experience hair growth on the face and/or body beyond the area of treatment application. As such, the 5% solution did not get approval to sell to women. For some reason men are less likely to experience this side effect with the 5% solution.

However, some dermatologists do use the 5% solution for women. You have to be aware of the risks of unwanted hair growth. If it does occur, the hair growth will subside if you stop using the 5% minoxidil (go back to the 2% minoxidil or stop altogether).

Page 1 of 1

Reply to topic
Jump to: