keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

MY HAIR IS GROWING FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Alopecia Areata > MY HAIR IS GROWING FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:23 pm.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: tishaGuest
Post Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:21 pm

HOWDY!

I thought I'd share some good news. My hair is coming back in, and the fallout has decreased significantly, albeit not completely.

So what did I do, besides wait? Everything but the kitchen sink, which might have been no better than just waiting, but these were the practices that stuck and probably contributed to the regrowth:

1. Aldara seems to work best on the top of my head (results in 2 weeks!). After awhile it stops working and I have to give my head a break. However, I notice that even stubborn treated areas get better and faster regrowth (3 months) than untreated areas (4-5 months or longer).

2. I broke up with my long distance boyfriend. The situation was causing enormous amounts of stress for me. I had a miscarriage and a broken engagement last Christmas. Now that I'm pretty much over it, my stress level is reduced considerably.

3. I traded in my high-stress job for a regular job.

4. I found out I'm having immune-system reactions to wheat, dairy, eggs, and yeast. I changed my diet! No more tummy troubles related to leaky gut, candida, etc. I increased the greens, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory foods, etc.

5. Significantly reduced the amount of caffeine in my life. Coffee raises cortisol levels, the stress hormone. I drink more tea.

6. I bought a Sunbox and use it every day. I also go to a tanning booth once a week, for only 10 minutes. I know it's supposedly "bad" for the skin but many folks with alopecia and psoriasis find sunlight helps a lot. The Sunbox has a UV filter.

7. I had plastic surgery and I look great. Nothing radical, but it was a great morale booster. Definitely worth taking that loan out on my house.

8. I bought Couvre and other camoflauge products, and two wigs. They helped me "get over myself" and my hair. I color my regrowth with henna to darken the "white fuzzies" and create the appearance of better coverage. Again, I think it reduced anxiety.

9. I've been taking an anti-anxiety pill (Zoloft) since January. My doc gave it to me because of the miscarriage. Now I'm wondering if it's helping my hair grow back!

I hope this post helps you folks out there struggling with this confounding problem. I really do believe diet and anxiety play a major role in this illness. DON'T GIVE UP!

Think hairy thoughts!
Tisha

Author: tashaGuest
Post Fri Jun 25, 2004 5:13 pm

That is absolutely wonderful news.I can only imagine how overjoyed you are.Trying to pinpoint why you are getting regrow would be impossible,just thank god you are getting it.I will pray that you are cured of this disease.
Im sure ppl will soon start posting questions.I just have 2.How long have you been losing and how extensive was your loss? GL Tisha!!!

Author: Guest
Post Sun Jun 27, 2004 11:16 am

diet

Hello,
such a wonderful news, would you please tell me exactly about your diet?
thank you

Author: tishaGuest
Post Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:35 pm

my diet

Hi,

My diet is a modified "caveman diet," or the blood-type O diet. Meats, fruits, veggies, and seeds. Lots of water and tea. I do eat soy. I try to eat more fish and berries these days (antioxidant!).

Note the caveman and O-type diets are real short on grains. I'm gluten sensitive and won't eat wheat, barley or rye anyway. But I'm also careful not to eat too much of any other kind of grain, except rice perhaps. Anyone interested in the relationships between grains and the immune system should read the book "Dangerous Grains."

It sounds like an extremely restrictive diet and IT IS, if you eat at restaurants often or are at the mercy of someone else's cooking. But honestly, I've only lost 5 pounds and I haven't gone hungry. And I FEEL GREAT!

Also, my skin has improved significantly. I used to be plagued by zits, hives, and exzema. No more! Also, no more monthly Candida infections.

I drink a lot of aloe vera juice (it's low in carbs), pomegranate juice, and "green" juice (fruit juice with spirulina, broccoli, and other greens). Usually I'll mix a high sugar juice with aloe vera to cut down on the sugar and modulate my immune system.

Anyway, just think: even if you're not sensitive to wheat/dairy/yeast, grabbing an apple instead of that extra slice of pizza can only help you anyway. So give it a try!

Author: mianaGuest
Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:14 pm

Re: my diet

Hi tisha.
how long after you started this diet you could see the resaults?
thanks

quote:
Originally posted by tishaHi,

My diet is a modified "caveman diet," or the blood-type O diet. Meats, fruits, veggies, and seeds. Lots of water and tea. I do eat soy. I try to eat more fish and berries these days (antioxidant!).

Note the caveman and O-type diets are real short on grains. I'm gluten sensitive and won't eat wheat, barley or rye anyway. But I'm also careful not to eat too much of any other kind of grain, except rice perhaps. Anyone interested in the relationships between grains and the immune system should read the book "Dangerous Grains."

It sounds like an extremely restrictive diet and IT IS, if you eat at restaurants often or are at the mercy of someone else's cooking. But honestly, I've only lost 5 pounds and I haven't gone hungry. And I FEEL GREAT!

Also, my skin has improved significantly. I used to be plagued by zits, hives, and exzema. No more! Also, no more monthly Candida infections.

I drink a lot of aloe vera juice (it's low in carbs), pomegranate juice, and "green" juice (fruit juice with spirulina, broccoli, and other greens). Usually I'll mix a high sugar juice with aloe vera to cut down on the sugar and modulate my immune system.

Anyway, just think: even if you're not sensitive to wheat/dairy/yeast, grabbing an apple instead of that extra slice of pizza can only help you anyway. So give it a try!

Author: MinaGuest
Post Sat Sep 04, 2004 4:17 pm

Hi tisaa,
how long after you started this diet, you could see that it works?
thanks mina

Author: kathi18Junior Poster
Post Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:05 pm

wtg :0) stress and anxiety and diet i think are a major part of this...that's the first thing my medical doc asked me.....was if i was stressing out a lot(because she knows i'm a workaholic) and eating right...my response was that its been a really stressful summer with what i felt was way too much going on (one thing after another) and i haven't had a breather at all..and my diet was less than admirable at all...my vitamin intake was not so good at all...her response...chill out and take some vitamins...eat more fruits and veggies and we'll get you on your way back to good health, not to mention your having some blood tests...blood tests came back...only thing that wasn't right she said was a slightly higher white blood cell count...so here's what i did...i went to a natural food store and found an awesome daily vitamin (had already started taking vitamins per advice of a lot of people around me) and i started eating better foods...i started stepping back from a lot of things that were stressing me out and began to find myself again so to speak, seems like in the midst of too much work and not enough play i've been feeling like i lost a big part of me and stress from work and other pressures put me on overload....my job is winding down and i will be looking for other employment soon, something with normal working hours where my nites are my own and weekends are too. hence stress levels are decreasing rapidly...its been hard because i feel as if no one understands what this is or how hard it is on your self image.. i'm only 25, when i go out with friends i feel as if i'm always making sure my spots don't show...but i'm proud to show them the ones where there is some stubble reappearing. Funny thing is it seems to be coming in a shade or so lighter, almost the color from when i was younger. I have a good dermatoligist who is treating me for both disorders. The way i'm tryin to look at it is the unhealthy hair which didn't have enough vitamins in it is leaving my head and healthy softer hair is coming back. Just by reading these posts today i know that i'm not alone, which is often how i've felt in the past month or so...i find myself dreading taking a shower after work, but i do it because i know i have to, because i'm scared to look down at the drain and see how much more hair is gone...but i'm trying to stop that feeling.

i was diagnosed with alopecia areata and tinea versicolor(a skin condition which is from high heat and humidity levels, i work as a manager in a small mom and pop restaurant in the fry room which gets to really high tempetures) about a month or so ago....skin condition is clearing up nicely....and hair remarkably enough seems to be going into some regrowth even though i'm still losing some in patches. It's given me some hope that maybe in some way its all interrelated...i've also had some dental work done recently, a root canal which beforehand i was in pain for most of the summer, some say that could be related as well....i hope i'm not sounding whiny or complaining, because i don't mean to sound that way even remotely. I know there are people out there with far worse problems than me, this is just something i have needed to get out with people who understand and maybe even have some of the same theories as me regarding stress and diet with this disorder.

I have a couple questions though....

what kind of medication did your doc put you on?
my dermatoligist wants to inject some sort of a hair regrowth shot into my scalp at my bald spots did yours do that as well?

i feel as if i still have so much more to learn...i have no way of knowing how long i've had this disorder, but it didn't seem to be happening until after my root canal in aug, now the whole process is done with that tooth and i'm hopin that my body will recuperate.
Funny thing is that after my diet change and taking my daily vitamins and reducing stress i haven't felt this good in a long time, my energy is coming back as well as my sense of self and at the same time hair seems to be beginning to return...is that normal? ok enough of my babbling i just have so many different things to say it seems...did any of it make sense?

Kat

Author: milleNew Poster
Post Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:46 pm

to tisha

Hi,Tisha
If you are around,please give an update of your health and specially your hair.

Author: Go VeganNew Poster
Post Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:52 am

How I mostly cured my hairloss

Hi All,

So, I had a scalp condition that was causing lots of my hair to fall out... I had inflamed, rather painful zit-like bumps, hair falling out, etc. It was hard for me to even lay down on a pillow, and I had to wash my hair all the time. It was absolutely horrible.

I tried everything... Fungicide, Antibiotics, Anti-bacterial shampoo, tar shampoo, etc... etc...

Since I am an ethical vegan (see www.VegAnswers.com) and eco-minded, I decided to try diet, excercize and natural remedies... This is the only thing that has worked!!

My vegan diet helps A LOT! Vegan foods are much healthier and better for your hair because they do not have the chemicals, hormones, and stress chemicals that meat/dairy products do. Also milk products are horrible for your body! So, that is step numero uno!

Second, I realized that I am sensitive to gluten (wheat and some other grains. Once I gave up all gluten products, I noticed a dramatic reversal of my hair loss.

Third, I have been eating more greens (spinach salads, organic vegetables, wheat grass shots, etc.) This is incredibly important. It boosts your immune system.

Fourth, I gave up sugary and refined products... This is so good for you. Only shop at your local natural foods store! Just buy fruits, vegetables, sweet potatoes, brown rice, beans, oats, nuts, rice cakes, nut butters, natural popcorn, trail mix, etc. These foods are good and wholesome for you. You don't need anything else. When you are out to eat, you can get all fruit smoothies, salads, vegetable dishes, brown rice based dishes, etc.

Fifth, take a natural, vegetarian multivitamin/multimineral. This will make sure that you are getting all of the nutrients, which are vital to hair growth.

Sixth, get a bottle of organic flax seed oil from your local health food store. Do not cook with this oil. Just use a couple tablespoons over toast, in smoothies or on salads. This helps to clear up the skin and hair. Do not use any other oils (or at least keep other oils to a minimum).

Seventh, get regular excersize... Try yoga... Yoga is great because it increases bloodflow to your head, which stimulates hair growth. Also, make sure to get sweaty regularly. This will flush toxins out of the pores/hair follicles. Shower after excersize.

Eighth, try natural shampoo/conditioners on hair... This is a great one that I have been using lately...

Shampoo = natural shampoo from health store (make sure it doesn't have sulfites/wheat proteins)
Conditioner = 1/2 bottle of natural conditioner + equal parts unrefined apple cider vinegar + peppermint oil + tea tree oil

(Shampoo thoroughly, making sure to clean scalp. Rinse. Work the conditioner concoction into scalp with nails. Leave in for a few minutes. Wash out.)

I only wash my hair every other day (sometimes every two days).

Okay, that's all I can think of right now...

Hopefully this helps someone... Also, do look into going vegetarian/vegan... It is an ethical/healthy choice!

Take care,
Kath

Page 1 of 1

Reply to topic
Jump to: