keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

thyroid problems and gray hair

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Hair Biology > thyroid problems and gray hair
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:12 am.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: Guest
Post Wed May 26, 2004 5:30 pm

I was just wondering if anyone with gray hair also has thyroid problems? I have read thyroid problems can be related to premature graying. I think my gray may be linked to thyroid but I can't find a way to prove it.

Author: JaneGuest
Post Sun May 30, 2004 11:36 am

premature grey

Hello Guest, I'm replying to your posting below:

"thyroid problems and gray hair

I was just wondering if anyone with gray hair also has thyroid problems? I have read thyroid problems can be related to premature graying. I think my gray may be linked to thyroid but I can't find a way to prove it."

I understand that there can be a link, though I haven't yet tested this out. I'm thinking of getting a thyroid test on my 14-year-old, who's been getting grey hair for the past 18 months. If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? Why do you think your premature greying might be linked to thyroid problems? Have you tried approaching your GP about this? If you look back through some of the recent postings in Hair Biology on premature grey hair, you'll find at least one reference to possible thyroid disorders. Let me know how you get on!

Post Sun May 30, 2004 1:22 pm

To the above posters: chekc out the "Hair Color" section of this site (right hand side of web page) and it describes all the causes of pre-mature greying and gives specifics about grey hair in children and adolescents and specific diseases that cause them.

Post Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:56 pm

Jane,

One of the main reasons I think my gray has something to do with thyroid or other problem is because it was such a rapid onset of the gray. I know everyone goes gray differently, but my mother did not get gray until she was almost 40. I saw a huge difference in my hair between Aug 2001 and April 2002, I just want an answer and to feel like myself again. I feel like my husband will not be attracted to me if I let my hair go natural. I know this is really petty and that hair isn't everything, but it still bothers me and I can't imagine your son having to deal with this at the young age of 14, I hope you can find something out as well! Good luck.

Author: marieGuest
Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 1:05 am

grey hair and thyroid disorder

I too think there is a connection between the thyroid and grey hair. Recently i was told I have hypothyroidism and I'm amazed at how I have noticed that I have many grey hairs coming in all at once!,never had any before this.

Post Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:57 pm

Marie,

How old are you? Have you discussed this with your doctor? I want to talk with my dr., but I was never told I had a thyroid problem, I was diagnosed with pcos which is related to insulin problems as well and I am 8 months pregnant so they are going to tell me all my symptoms are baby related most likely!!
Hopefully we can eventually get an answer

Post Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:50 pm

grey hair and thyroid disorder

Well, we did have a thyroid test on my 14-year-old to see if it might explain his early greying - but it just came back 'normal. We also did a vitamin B12 test, and that came back 'normal' too. Of course in one respect we're pleased that it's *not* a medical problem - but on the other hand it left my son really more fed up because it just looks as though it's a genetic thing, and he's goi ng to have to put up with going gradualy greyer... It's really hard at this age, you can imagine with other kids' comments, you can't blame them just for commenting, it's not malicious, just so unusual to see lots of grey hairs in a young lad. Anyone else out there know anyone in their early teens who's experiencing this? I guess we'll now (reluctantly) go for dyeing the hair, but it's young to start doing this on a regular basis, and I worry about the effect of the chemicals long-term.

Author: kerrichuGuest
Post Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:26 am

Greying hair and thyroid

I'm 22 and I'm hypothyroid (underactive thyroid). My first grey hair showed up when I was 16. It started getting pretty bad when I was 18 and my doctor tested my thyroid. The results came out "normal".

When I turned 20 and had even more grey hair, as well as other problems that didn't have an explanation, I went to the doctor again. He tested my thyroid levels again, and decided that my "normal" levels weren't normal anymore, since I had other thyroid symptoms. I guess they weren't bad enough to do anything about it until I told him about more than just grey hair.

My hair is currently grey on almost half of my head. Thyroid medication is supposed to stop it. I'm not really sure if it's been helping since I always dye my hair to cover the grey. I'm going to let it grow out and see how bad it is.

Check out the symptoms of thyroid disease, and if you have any symptoms other than grey hair, go to the doctor and get tested. Make sure you find out what the TSH level is. It should be between 0.5 and 5.0. Your son's levels might be off, but your doctor might figure that grey hair isn't a good enough reason to fix it.

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:01 pm

Kerrichu,

If you don't mind, will you share with us the other problems you discussed with your dr that made him decide to treat your thyroid? If it is too personal I totally understand.
thanks!!

Post Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:21 pm

thryoid + greying hair

Kerrichu,
I just read your email today (27th August), thanks for sharing this. I *will* go back to the GP and check the actual level, as before I just accepted 'normal' at face value. However, I don't think my son has any other symptoms of thyroid disorder, and I'm not sure what the other signs that you had are. If you *could* share them that'd be really helpful. You say you've dyed your hair pretty regularly since starting to grey at 16 - have you had any problems with coverage of the grey, or any other problems with reactions to the hair dye? (I guess not.) Are you using permanent dye or does semi-permanent give okay results? We're reluctant to go for a harsh dye at such a young age, and still haven't taken this route.
Thanks very mcuh for your reply.
Jane

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic
Jump to: