keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

My 12 year old has bald spots

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Alopecia Areata > My 12 year old has bald spots
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:30 pm.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: nervous momNew Poster
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 1:56 pm

Last week I noticed a rather large bald spot in the back of my 12 year old daughter's hair (4cm by 9cm). Upon further inspection I found another at the part that measured 1cm by 4cm. I took her to the pediatrician who was very flippant and said it might be alopecia areata and the hair may or may not come back "but if not that's what wigs are for, it's no big deal." We have a dermatologist referral for the end of this month. I posted on another section of this forum and was told I might want to post here as well.
My main question is about alopecia areata. She has regrowth already and the spots were absolutely not there in late December and I'm almost sure they weren't there at the beginning of March. Would she already have regrowth if it is alopecia? What else should I check into? The largest spot is just below the crown. It makes no sense that it came from breakage from pony tails or from nervously pulling her hair out. Any replies with info would be greatly appreciated!

Author: adminSite Admin
Post Fri Apr 09, 2004 5:34 pm

It would be unusual for a spot of aloepcia areata to only exist for a couple of months. More typically they persist for 6 months or so before resolving - for those who have short term alopecia areata. However, AA is a very unpredictable condition and just because it dosen't fit the classic presentation doesn't mean it's not AA.

Other possible diagnoses are trichotillomania, scarring alopecia, or a local infection (ringworm). Scarring alopecia is unlikely as you say there is hair regrowth. Trichotillomania you have discounted. That leaves ringworm. The derm should be able to spot this if it is the problem.

Author: lovebaybeeGuest
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:40 am

alopecia?

well if you want a really good website go to... www.alopeciaareata.com it is the National Alopecia Areata Foundation(NAAF) it had the best information right down to questions, parent to parent talk, adult to adult talk and for your daughter kid to kid teen to teen talk!!! I am 15 going on 16 and i am more than willing to talk to your daughter considering i was diagnosied at age 2! i still ahve all of my hair but i knwo about...telling friend the depression you go through wondering if when you wake up is your hair still going to be there?! i can help so e-mail me at cheerhappy530@hotmail.com!!! lots of love and luck

Kayla:) Very Happy

Author: JeanetteGuest
Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:30 pm

Teen hairloss? which type is it & why does it happen

hi,
i was not sure where to post so pls direct me where i should seek for advice.

i have a 13 yr old sister who is losing her hair all of a sudden. she did not have chemo or any chemical or other treatments, she does not take drugs - then what is it that is causing her hair loss? hormones? shampoo? the top of her head looks like she's balding. i wouldn't really qualify it as baldness because the size is not that big although visible.

how do we figure out which type of hairloss it is? i'm so worried because i know nothing about this.

pls tell me where i should post msgs & seek advice.
thank you very much, i'd really appreciate it.

pls email me @ shakalakababy671@hotmail.com

P.S every time i brush my hair i loose huge chunks (tons) of hair but it's been like that since i was a teenager (or maybe even b4 that). i'm a 21 yr old female w very thick wavy hair. is there anything i could do to stop or lessen the hairloss?

Author: JeanetteGuest
Post Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:32 pm

Teen hairloss? which type is it & why does it happen

hi,
i was not sure where to post so pls direct me where i should seek for advice.

i have a 13 yr old sister who is losing her hair all of a sudden. she did not have chemo or any chemical or other treatments, she does not take drugs - then what is it that is causing her hair loss? hormones? shampoo? the top of her head looks like she's balding. i wouldn't really qualify it as baldness because the size is not that big although visible.

how do we figure out which type of hairloss it is? i'm so worried because i know nothing about this.

pls tell me where i should post msgs & seek advice.
thank you very much, i'd really appreciate it.

pls email me @ shakalakababy671@hotmail.com

P.S every time i brush my hair i loose huge chunks (tons) of hair but it's been like that since i was a teenager (or maybe even b4 that). i'm a 21 yr old female w very thick wavy hair. is there anything i could do to stop or lessen the hairloss?

Author: worriedmomTinaGuest
Post Mon Apr 19, 2004 2:38 pm

I have a friend who was diagnosed with AA and she regrew her hair withen 3 months.Also my cousin's son had two bald spots which regrew hair withen 6 months.So it is possible.As far as I know, the more extensive the hair loss, the more time it takes to go into remission.
I hope I helped some.Good Luck.
Tina.

Author: worried momGuest
Post Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:44 pm

AA

Thanks Tina. The more I'm learning, the more I'm inclined to think her problem is indeed AA. Especially hearing about people whose hair grew back quickly. Do you (or anyone else) know, once this has occurred, does it tend to repeat itself in the form of occasional patches or does it worsen over time? If this is AA, what do we expect for the future?

Author: TeresaGuest
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:57 pm

worried mom-
I understand fully with where you are coming from-
My 7 year old has recently (November ) been diagnosed with alopecia areata-
Our pediatrician was short with us too- said it was probably auto immune and recommended we see a dermatologist. We have tried a few treatments- topicals- one spot her largest has some fuzzy stuff but the two smaller ones are still bald. She had a very small spot last year that grew in in about 6-8 months with no treatment - we had no diagnosis at that time and it was small. I have been comforted by the members on this board... they have been very informative. My daughter is comfortable with her situation because no one can see her spots. If the time comes when she wants or needs to talk to some one I will ask on this board. There is a woman on this board who has had patchy AA for years and has lost and regrown many times- I am hopeful that this will be the pattern Emily follows and it never gets much worse. Hopefully this will be true for your daughter as well. Hang in there
Teresa

Page 1 of 1

Reply to topic
Jump to: