keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

Garlic made my hair grow back

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Alopecia Areata > Garlic made my hair grow back
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:07 pm.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: Arnold SpliethGuest
Post Wed Feb 09, 2000 2:08 pm

I was diagnosed with alopecia areata last year.I am 40 years old.I went to three different doctors to make sure of the diagnoses.I was completely freaked out over my hair loss.I love my hair!No one had an answer for me to help grow it back except all the regular creams and shots.No thanks!I decided to take it upon myself to try things.I remembered having a wart years ago and was told about putting garlic on it for 7 days.It worked.The wart went away.So I figured garlic was strong enough to kill a wart which is a fungus or something so let me try it on my bald spots.I had a week off of work and used a headband to hold a cut piece of elphant garlic on one spot,for 5 days, my hair started growing back.That was about 2 months ago.My hair is still growing on that spot.I picked the biggest spot to do it on.I still have to try it on my other spots.I went back to the doctor and showed him and he laughed at me.Well no more of them idiots taking my money. I would like to know if anyone tried this or heard of this treatment.I am going to try the other spots as soon as I can.

Author: marcySenior Poster
Post Wed Feb 09, 2000 7:54 pm

Arnold:

Please forgive my skepticism, but I find it very difficult to believe that after five days you were able to see hair growth. Our hair grows less than one inch a month mine used to grow about 3/4" in a month)..if we figure a month based on 28 days, normal growth for me would have been a bit over 1/16" for a five day period. As they say, I'm from Missouri...you would have to show me!

Author: adminSite Admin
Post Thu Feb 10, 2000 5:58 am

Garlic is actually a very old treatment for alopecia areata. It is an irritant and can work in much the same way as modern contact sensitizing agents. The advantage of the modern chemicals is that almost everyone is sensitized to them whereas getting a response with garlic only works for a few people. Another old treatment, but effective for some, was ground up mustard seed in a poultice applied to the bald areas.

However, 5 days is too short a turn aound time. It takes at least 2 weeks for a hair to grow from the bottom of the hair follicle through the skin to reach the surface where it would be visible. If hair growth was that rapid you probably had spontaneous regrowth.

Author: philosGuest
Post Thu Feb 10, 2000 10:52 am

Kevin,
You said,
>>Garlic is actually a very old treatment for alopecia areata. It is an irritant and can work in much the same way as modern contact sensitizing agents<<

Garlic is a member of the same group of plants that squill plant is a member also (N.O. Liliaceae).
I just wonder....
Philos

Post Fri Feb 11, 2000 6:57 am

It may be a family member but to my knowledge garlic does not contain the toxic chemicals that squill produces. However, I am not a botanist so if anyone else knows ...??

Author: PhilosGuest
Post Mon Feb 14, 2000 5:35 am

Kevin, I have been enjoying your discussion forum and find most of your comments very interesting.
Are you an alopecian of any short? Are you involved in R & D regarding Alopecia?
If you are, what is your opinion about finding an acceptable cure, how close are we?

Are there any other * interested in alopecia besides Upjohn?

Thank you for this discussion.

Philos

Post Tue Feb 15, 2000 10:35 am

I don't have alopecia areata. I have androgenetic alopecia and I am a volunteer in the clinic where I work for a drug trial. The trial is to test out a new computer method of defining hair growth rates rather than testing the drug itself.

I am a research scientist and primarily work on alopecia areata. However, since moving to my new job (June 99) I have begun a series of experiements on general hair biology as well. My work is government or charity funded, but my clinical colleagues also have * funding.

My latest journal review article is: K.J. McElwee, D.J. Tobin, L.E. King Jr, and J.P. Sundberg. Alopecia areata: An autoimmune disease? Exp Dermatol 1999; 8: 371-379.

Of course there is a cure for AA (and any other non-scarring form of hair loss)! Think positive! I have spent my entire career (albeit 7 years so far) working towards it. The question is what is the cure and how to find it. I think it will either involve gene therapy or some method of modulating the immune system recognition of hair follicle antigens. Obviously such cures are a long way off. However, new drug treatments should be much closer.

Upjohn, Johnson&Johnson, Glaxo, and Merck are the big four involved in hair loss research - primarily androgenetic alopecia, but other conditions too. There are also small, full time laboratories/study groups at Pfizer, L'Oreal and Proctor&Gamble. Other smaller companies in Europe and Japan are involved sporadically in hair loss research (I know of 4, there are probably more) but they like to keep quiet about it.

Author: SharonGuest
Post Mon Mar 06, 2000 2:24 pm

I have had alopecia areata off and on for about
12 years. I have had 2 children, neither of which shows any signs of the disease. My hair loss got much worse after the birth of my second child. My question is this: has any research been done to show whether children of moms with alopecia have a greater chance of getting alopecia than the general population? Also, I am considering having a third child. Are there any dangers during pregnancy for women with alopecia?

Post Sat Mar 11, 2000 8:43 am

Statistics in different studies vary. Some say there is absolutely no link between parents having AA and increased suscpetibility in the children. Others say there is a low level link. The most significant statistical relationship I have seen reported is 5% of kids who have AA have one parent with AA. The general population risk rate is 1.7% and, given there is always a margin of error in statisitics, 5% is effectively no more significant than the general population risk rate.

Some women with AA find they have temporary regrowth during pregnancy. However, that is the only reported effect.

Author: Zalina BadromGuest
Post Sun Apr 02, 2000 11:24 pm

Kevin, my daughter is now 5 years ol. She had alopecia areata at the age of 3. Things are progressing quite well, and she had almost complete regrowth of hair, except for some tiny spots. But lately, things are going back to square one. She has been on minoxidil for the last 2 years. Is there are other treatment you think is effective for a child? Is there any effect of minoxidil used for a prolonged period of time?

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic
Jump to: