keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

Womens Hair Loss--Visit with Dr. Geoffrey Redmond in NYC

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Androgenetic Alopecia > Womens Hair Loss--Visit with Dr. Geoffrey Redmond in NYC
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:59 am.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: JennGuest
Post Tue May 13, 2003 9:47 pm

Hi Everyone

I promised an update on my meeting with Doctor Redmond. Well, today was the big day. I awoke early (5 am) to head to NYC. 2 train rides, and a cab ride later, I arrived at the office at about 9:30 am for an 11 am appointment. (whoops, a little early!).

So I strolled around Manhattan a bit, and found a beautiful old Catholic Church. I went inside and spent about an hour praying for everyone that is troubled in life with a hair loss problem, and also for the people close to those who are suffering from hair loss. I also prayed for everyone that has helped me on this forum, without your support I seriuosly think I would have done myself in.

After my emotional hour in Church, I journeyed back to Dr. Redmond's office on 73rd & Lexington.

I was really surprised with the office atmosphere, I thought it would be really ritzy, but it was the complete opposite. Very plain, and simple.

When I finally met the doctor, I proceeded to remove the one-inch thick binding of medical paperwork I had in my backpack, and began to tell my story.

I mentioned to him that "I was probably a rare case" being a 24 year old healthy woman that is "going bald".

He responded, "Not at all, I see girls as young as fifteen!!" I couldnt imagine! Anyway, after reviewing my paperwork and doing a physical exam, we discussed my problem. He said there is no doubt that you have AGA. (I hate hearing that!! Although I alreay know it!!)

He was very kind, and very thorough. He told me about the improvements he has seen in women he has treated with AGA, and also discussed the fact that my hair loss as well as my other symptoms (oily skin, mild acne) were due to my high testosterone levels, and that most dermatologist dont know how to treat AGA in women.

He went on to prescribe me Aldactone(Spiro), Yasmin BCP's, and Retin A micro for my mild acne. He was kind and caring enough to ask how this has effected me personally and emotionally. Well!! that got me going!! I gabbed for about 20 minutes how this has caused me to lose my concentration at work, and lose my boyfriend, along with most of my normal life.

Dr. Redmond was really surprised that my boyfriend had left me. He said "You are the first woman I have ever met who's boyfriend has left them due to their hair loss." (I couldnt helped but crack up hysterically!!) I immediatley thought to myself "God HE IS a LOSER!!" (my ex) lol. But after I told the Doctor this story, he said he was concerned about my depression, and wrote me a script for an anti-depressant.

This was surprising since I had bawled my eyes out to my family Doctor, OB GYN, Dermatologist, and no one even offered a tissue!!

(Sorry....I tend to get a bit side tracked...kinda like to give the whole experience!!!)

Back to the point...Dr. Redmond said to come back and see him in about four months. Then, you see him twice a year after that. (Its puts quite a dent in your wallet, but its worth it)

To summarize my long winded story...I would highly suggest any woman who is suffering from hair loss to go see this man! He knows what he is talking about. After seeing 5 different doctors, he was the FIRST one to realistically TREAT my hairloss.

It is best that a woman with hair loss see him as soon as possible after initial notice of hair loss. AGA tends to progress rapidly in some people. I am almost bald in one spot right in the front of my head, (and this whole hair loss ordeal only started 7 months ago for me!!)

I also would urge all woman to explore the treatment options that are right for them, and possibly begin treatment if they are able.

The office visit was $500 dollars, but you can submit the claim to your insurance for partial/if not full reimbursement. The total cost of my trip: $650. (Round Trip Amtrak from Philly/NYC, Cab Rides, Local Rail line, and Mickey D's) lol.

It is definatley worth it for a woman to save every penny and take this trip. I believe Dr. Redmond is one in a small handful of Doctors that will treat Andrgenetic Alopecia. Believe me I m NOT RICH!!! I saved the money to do this for myself. And let me tell you it was worth every cent of my $650 smackers!!!

I wanted to post this to let everyone know that we have to stick together and have hope. Remember that I keep all of you in my prayers.

My best to everyone
Jenn

Author: Guest
Post Wed May 14, 2003 2:47 am

thanks for input

Jenn,
It's me-the one who suggested if you were so close to NYC-go to see Dr. Redmond. Of course, I haven't been myself-it is far. I've had two appts. with him scheduled already that I found necessary to cancel. I have one scheduled for next Friday and am determined to get there. My journey will be more extensive and expensive but I think he is my only hope. I am postmenopausal with this really going fast. I am balding in the crown and losing the front, too, as well as thinning all over. It is the hardest thing I have ever faced and will be surprised if anything will ever be as hard-actually this happening to my daughter-about your age-would be so much worse but possibly and hopefully-easier to solve. My dermatologist said not to start treatment until I get my scalp problem under control--"fix one thing before you start messing with the other" she said. Dr. Redmond told me that there is no good reason to wait and every reason to start as soon as possible-it tends to be progressive. Of course, I can't use Rogaine-I assume that's what the derm was going to do and she said "you don't want to go messing with your hormones until you get the other problem settled." Well, that makes no sense to me-my hormones are messing with me already-why wait???? LOL He sounded so compassionate over the phone. Who knows if anything will work for me but I can not let my hair go without a fight and he is the only one I know right now who will help me fight. I know others have doctors helping them but I can't locate one close-so off to NYC I go-one seven hour car ride from NC to VA, then a subway ride from VA to DC, then a train ride from DC to NYC and finally a cab ride. Thanks for the heads up on the office decor-I do tend to judge by the looks of the office but that is not always a good attitude.
I was waiting and hoping for a good report from you-thanks so much. Now, where was that church???

Post Fri May 16, 2003 1:01 pm

Follow up with Doctor Redmond

Hi There

Yes, thank you for the reccomendation. My hair is also going fast, so I am terrified now. My only hope is that these treatments will work.If you dont mind me asking? How quicjly did you lose your hair? I lost mine in about 6 months. like really bad, so I know there is probably no hope to get it all back. Its even getting difficult to hide. I am so self concious now its driving me crazy. I just hope I see some progress. This is the worst thing that could ever happen to a woman. At times, I still cant believe it has happened to me.

I would definately try to fo see him when you get the chance.. It will make you feel like you are doing everyting you can for yourself.

The Church I stopped at was on the corner of 76th ans Lexington.
It is absolutely beautiful!! Stop in and maybe say a few prayers for all of us.
You never know, it may be ansewered. Yes you definately have to ignore the office decor, its not very pretty.I really expected an eloborate place.

Keep in touch and let me know how your appointment goes!!

Jenn

Author: jcGuest
Post Thu May 22, 2003 5:35 am

Dr. Redmond visit

Hi Jenn,

I recently purchased Dr. Redmond's book, and I was really impressed. I wanted to thank you for telling us about your positive experience and thinking about the rest of us. Just reading your note brought tears to my eyes; this a lonely, debilitating problem. I'm quite depressed and utterly disgusted with the medical establishment. I'm trying super hard to find a endocrinologist in Nashville who specializes in female hair loss. Good luck and keep us informed with your progress.

Post Thu May 22, 2003 1:35 pm

To JC-From Jenn

Hi JC

Thank you so much for your kind words. When I hear you say my post brings tears to your eyes, I immediately feel like my suffering has a meaning. That even though we are losing our hair, so much good arises from helping each other. The thought that my suffereing has helped someone brings tears to my eyes.

Please continue to have faith. Hope, love and kindness will provide us with healing. Good Luck with your journey, and keep in touch. Let me know if there is anything I can do for you.

Jenn

Author: sarajoGuest
Post Fri May 30, 2003 3:53 am

jenn

Smile Jenn,

I have been reading posts and info about AGA f/the last 2 years. I am so glad to read yours. I have been working on my "problem" for 2 years.

I just started YASMIN (w/ mixed emotions) so we'll see how that goes.

I'm 40, and as I said this overall shedding started ( at least that's when I noticed it)was about 2 years ago. My overall thinning is most noticable when I pull my hair back.

I does consume me sometimes. I fully understand how you feel. I also have been using the Nioxin hair shampoo. It seems to be a good product.

I had formerly used Rogaine for the last 2 years.. From what I have read, it appears to stimulate scalp for hair growth. Honestly, I just got tired of using it. I think it may have helped, but I am trying to work on the hormones w/the BCP.

Anyway, I was somewhat frustrated with my preoccupation w/this, and just read your post....had to reply..

Have a great weekend. and I'll keep the faith,,,,like you said !

sara

Author: AtlantaGuest
Post Thu Jun 05, 2003 9:01 pm

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for such a detailed description of your visit to Dr. Redmond. I just recently read one of his books, and he seems like such a voice of compassion and optimism.

I was wondering if he performed a test to see what the source of your androgen excess was - ovaries or adrenals? It seems like different treatments may be in order depending on this. I also wanted to know if the Spiro/ and bcp were helping you at all?

Author: Guest
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:09 am

Anyone knows of a good Dr. in Texas or in the San Antonio, tx area??? I would really appreaciate if anyone would tell me.

Author: ElizabethGuest
Post Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:26 am

Dr. Whiting

Guest,

Dr. Whiting @Baylor Hair Research & Treatment Center.. in Dallas,TX
214-820-4247

He is expensive and hard to get into..but, had done quite a bit of research with hairloss..

Author: Mr TelogenSenior Poster
Post Fri Jun 13, 2003 12:09 pm

From the posts have read over the past year, Redmond is only good if you have AGA. As a matter of fact thats all he will ever diagnose you with unless it's obviously something else.If he has a good bedside manner that's great but if you do not have AGA.................. Rolling Eyes

Page 1 of 1

Reply to topic
Jump to: