Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:21 pm.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Folliculitis
Author: Mr TelogenSenior Poster
Post Tue Jul 23, 2002 10:13 am

Hi Bonnie, that is a good question because for me anyway it made it worse.I was already shedding prior to any folliculitis but after it cleared BANG the hair just fell! I have been through some shitty times in my 39 years but this has been the worst thing to happen to me yet.

Author: adminSite Admin
Post Sun Aug 04, 2002 7:56 am

Folliculitis can cause hair loss but the hair lost is usually limited to the hair follicles in the immediate vicinicty of the inflamed follicle. The result is little patches of hair loss. If you have a lot of folliculitis then the patches might coalesce together so it would seem like a larger area of diffuse loss.

Author: Mr TelogenSenior Poster
Post Tue Aug 06, 2002 10:15 am

Kevin do you know if there is a way to tell if the folliculitis(now cleared)has caused permemant loss?I do not see scars but I wonder if the scars are so small that they simply block the pores.

Author: adminSite Admin
Post Sat Aug 10, 2002 8:17 am

You can't be sure if there is permanent loss or not just by looking at it - the scarring can be deep in the skin. Folliculitis might cause permanent loss of the specifc follicle the folliculits was in but hair loss around the affected follicle should not be irreversibly damaged. Usually folliculitis does not cause permanent hair loss, but it can take a few months for the hair follicles to recover.

Author: robinJunior Poster
Post Thu Dec 05, 2002 11:56 pm

Conundrum - you have described my situation. My derm diagnosed me with Alopecia Areata and I've been putting the creams and cortisteroids on that he says to leave on as long as I want and My head is having an adverse reaction to it. He now says that the creams thhat he has prescribed are hurting me and that he would just prescribe more cream. Do you think he is causing me to have TE or follucitis are something other than Alopecia. My skin looks like it is macerated and purple in some spots with a lot of redness, itching and burning. I have to scratch every 2 seconds. I'm scared to put any meds on for fear that it will harm and hurt me. I just thought it was my doctor that was an itiot.

Author: CraigGuest
Post Fri Dec 06, 2002 7:59 pm

I would say yes he may be an idiot.I have found that these derms like to pat themselves on the back and not believe what we tell them.We are over reacting etc.I just read my old posts and boy have things improved for me.I have not used cortosteroids on my scalp much at all in the last two months.I use Nizoral 1% two or more times a week and let it sit for 5 minutes.My scalp feels so much better than it did before.I do have scars for sure now too.I can see them and they are clearly from the folliculitis caused by the topical steroids from hell.No hair will ever grow back there.I'd tear my old derms hair out if the bloated turd had any. OH yeah, I'm Conundrum BTW.

Author: AnonymousGuest
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:03 am

Question???
My patches seem to fill in quicker and with dark hair versus the white,lite variety...Is this a good sign?? Someone please answer!!!!

Author: robinJunior Poster
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:21 am

Concerning the extreme redness and maceration following the treatments of steroid,psorasis & topical meds I accidentally scratched a piece of skin off my head only to find that the skin held traits of being 2nd degree burns from the meds. I went through this pain for about 2 weeks until it seem to burn itself out. However interestingly enough I was able to peel the skin. YES PEEL THE SKIN off. Anyone who has had a serious bhurn knows that after the skin is inititially injured and burnt the skin takes on a leathery burnt purple scarred look until its peeled off much like a massive sunburn. I have never been happier to see smooth white bald skin until yesterday. Isn't that sad to say. But white skin looks better than macerated skin for me. I'm not sure I can trust any doctor and am at my wits end on trusting in a higher power to help me. However the severe itching has stopped since I pulled the burnt skin off. Also note of interest. I saved all of the purple skin that peeled off and when you stick it under a microscope you can actually see that my hair WAS trying to grow but the creams and ointments that seem to send me into this very bad reaction melted my new hair follicles into the skin and when I peeled it off it still held all of the follicles in the skin. I will be sending my skin to the National Areata Foundation for further research.

Author: CraigGuest
Post Sat Dec 07, 2002 3:19 pm

JESUS !

Author: nickGuest
Post Thu Jul 03, 2003 3:40 am

cormax

I was diagnosed with Seb Derm and my doc also put me on Cormax. Ive read on the net that you shouldnt take it more than 2 weeks at a time, but when I questioned my doctor, he said to ignore it. And now I am worried. Ive been taking it for 6 weeks now. And if I stop using it for 1-2 days, I start getting the red bumps and itching again.

I dont know what to do now.

Page 2 of 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Reply to topic
Jump to: