keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

Is there any way to lower DHEA-S?

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Hair Biology > Is there any way to lower DHEA-S?
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:11 am.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: BaldingFemaleGuest
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 10:06 am

Hi,

After about 18 months of battling a very bad case of TE, which I now think has triggered AGA, I'm at the end of my rope. Every doctor I have been to tells me everything is normal, that it is probably just stress, and they shrug their shoulders and dismiss me despite the obvious amount of thinning and loss.

I did go through a pretty bad emotional time in July 2000, which I believed, combined with bad nutrition and serious dieting, triggered the TE. Things (stress level and proper eating) have been back to normal for almost a year now, yet the hair loss continues. For the first year of loss I went through terrible periods of having a painful and itchy scalp with that creepy crawly feeling, I would often say my hair hurt, and I would lose handfuls of hair each day. I would watch it fall to the bathroom floor as I gently combed it and fight back panic. I don't get the painful scalp and creepy crawly feeling as often now, but it still happens from time to time. Mostly my scalp feels bruised and itches. Nizoral and Scalpicin seem to help the itch and pain during those times, but the loss continued.

In recent months I have noticed some good regrowth along the very very front of my hair line, but the rest of my head continues to thin. There are some small thin hairs trying to grow on my crown, but nothing significant that could keep up with the loss. I do believe the loss is greater on the right side of my head than the left and back, and in recent months it appears the top of my head is now showing a "typical" FPB loss. I used to be able to hide it by parting my hair differently, but in the past three months it has progress so much that I cannot hide it no matter how I comb it.

I have poured over my blood tests and two things jump out at me. My iron is at 20, and my DHEA-S is way above what is considered "normal range" for the lab that did the test. Again the doctor told me my iron was fine, and brushed the DHEA-S results off since my testosterone, estrogen and prolactin are "normal". I am taking steps to slowly raise my iron, and insiting my doctor monitor my progress with blood work; however, what can I do to lower my DHEA-S? Is there anything out there, or anything I can do? I read all about this drug and that drug to help block DHT, but what about DHEA-S?

Kevin, reading all the information on your site has been the only thing that has helped me feel not alone and keep my sanity during these past 18 months. Thank you for all the time and hard work you put in on the site and all the help you provide. If there is anything you can suggest about how to lower DHEA-S or what the next step would be to fight this problem, it would truly be appreciated.

Thank you for your time.

Author: AnonymousGuest
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 12:33 pm

Kevin,
I too would like to know that. I also would like to know why and how is it that TE can turn into or lead to AGA???

Thanks!

Author: AnonymousGuest
Post Fri Mar 22, 2002 4:01 pm

To the first poster... i cannot even begin to explain how similar our stories are. I am now 26, but it all started the exact same way yours did.. everything you said ran side by side with what i went through and what i'm going through.. even your hair being thinner on one side then the other, mine too!! I don't want to accept the fact that mine is AGA, but the more i think about it and the more i see my scalp show through each day, the more I realize that I need to accept that this is what it is. I don't have the answer to your question... but i hope someone answers it soon!! Please keep posting :)

Author: adminSite Admin
Post Sat Mar 30, 2002 1:46 pm

DHEAS may be a problem and there are suggestions that it can be converted to dihydrotestosterone within the skin - in which case you are not necessarily going to see an increase in blood levels of intermediate steps such as testosterone. Antiandrogens are the only real way to reduce DHEAS levels or you can indirectly antagnoize the androgens with estrogens.

I am a supporter of the view that low iron and/or ferritin levels contribute to hair loss (not all derms are) particularly given a number of people in these forums have apparently had success with treating TE by taking iron supplements. It takes a long time to get ferritin levels back to normal so persistence is the key. Supposedly improving ferritin levels also helps improve the effectiveness of other treatments such as antiandrogens.

I don't know how TE triggers AGA onset in susceptible individuals. They are both similar conditions in some respects. The early stages of AGA does not usually involve hair follicle miniaturization, rather there is an increase in the number of hair follicles in telogen - effectively the early stages of AGA are a kind of telogen effluvium. The hair follicle minaturization of classic AGA comes later.

So it may be that the telogen effuvium triggers a pattern of hair cycling with prolonged telogen that the affected hair follicles are genetically programmed to recognize as the initial events of AGA. This may then activate a true AGA mechanism through some biochemical feedback loop. Obviously I am just guessing.

Page 1 of 1

Reply to topic
Jump to: