keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

Hysterectomy and Hair Loss

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Diagnosis / Decisions > Hysterectomy and Hair Loss
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:14 am.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Author: icangelsNew Poster
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 2:15 pm

I had a complete hysterectomy in late 1993 at the age of 33. I was placed on Premarine and have used the drug since.

A couple years or so after my hysterectomy I began to notice hair loss. I asked the doctors if the harmones may have been contributing to my hairloss, but, they didn't seem to think so. Needless to say, I continued the drug and the hairloss continued as well.

Well, I'm almost 44 now, and my ponytail is less than an inch thick with ALL my hair in it! It's pitiful. I've also realized that the hair is falling off ALL my body, not just my head. And finally, I don't have the first gray hair on my head. Some might be grateful, but my entire family grayed early and my parents were complete white at the time of their death.

I'm wondering if perhaps the harmones (premarine) are the problem? Or, is there some disease that causes no gray hair to grow? Or, maybe a combination of both?

I've had NO testing of any kind. When I again asked my doctor a year or so ago, she simply told me to use Rogaine...

Author: BarbaraSenior Poster
Post Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:59 pm

Linda, I too had a complete hystorectomy in 1996 when I was 46. I experienced major hairloss which began one year after and my hair hasn't returned. I take estrace which is generally given for a complete hystorectomy. I had hormone tests done to find out but my tests came back normal. I am sure the hystorectomy had a major effect, however I do believe there could be another underlying cause, i.e. autoimmune disorder that could have been set off due to the hystorectomy.

Author: MerryGuest
Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:39 am

Hi Ladies - I had a partial hysterectomy 9 years ago...my ovaries were left. While the ovaries functioned normally for about 5 years, I had no hairloss. Then, as expected, ovaries stopped functioning, I went through menopause, and this diffuse aa started. Of course we don't know what triggered my aa, but I have always suspected hormonal changes.

Post Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:42 pm

I believe if the hormones go and you are faced with the right set of circumstances bizaar things can happen. My hairloss is quite different from anything I have ever seen. I have also had some outside intervention play a role in my hair demise. I can't stand to see it on my head. It looks so horrible. I must shave it off once again. I keep waiting for a hot day. grrrrr!!!

Author: Mary RoseGuest
Post Fri Mar 14, 2003 2:43 pm

Hello All:

I too like (Merry) had a partial hystercotomy in 1995, ovaries were left. I was on estrace for two years, and then My Dr. retired, my prescription was up for renewal. I needed to find a new Dr., so by the time I got an appointment and was checked out I did receive a renewal for Estrace. However, my AA started in Sept. and I was off Estrace for a few months around the same time. My AA started with a small patch, and grow all the while I was off estrace. Don't know if there is any connection. I get shots, apply cream, use Rogaine. See the Derm. every six weeks. I started taking alot of vitamins, and an iron supplement, due to lacking iron in one of my many blood tests.

Good luck to everyone.

Post Sat Mar 15, 2003 1:04 am

Hi Mary Rose, Are you taking Estrace now? Did you experience hairloss before your partial hystorectomy. Or did your hairloss begin two years after your surgery just over the time you were not taking Estrace? I saw my derm today and he suggested I stop Estrace for 3 months to see if that's whats preventing my hair from coming back. I am sooo confused.

Thanks
Barb

Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:17 pm

Estrace

Barb:

I was on Estrace about 2 and 1/2 yrs. If I recall properly: Discovered my spot in Sept. off Estract from Oct thru December. My spot advanced in size all the while I was off Estrace. Back on Estract in January. It's confusing, My huge spot is growing some white fuzz. I am continuing treatment, i.e. shots, Rogaine 2% twice a day, plus an ointment twice a day.

I hope every works out for you.

Mary Rose

Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 8:20 pm

Estrace

Barb:

I didn't answer the first part of your question. I had no hair loss before my surgery. I had hair loss 7years later (Sept. 2002).

Mary Rose

Post Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:51 pm

Estrace

Mary Rose, Thanks for your reply. It seems like stopping Estrace just made matters worse for you. I just don't see a way for my situation to change either way. My type of hairloss is just so bizaar. Were you diagnosed with alopecia areata? I don't have a clear diagnosis even though I have lost about 80% of my hair. Crying or Very sad

Barb

Post Tue Mar 18, 2003 1:49 pm

Estrace

Barb:

I was diagnosed in Sept. 2002 with AA. I think stress triggered my condition, but who knows for sure. I have a hugh bald spot to the left into the crown area on top. Did you have your blood checked? When I had my blood work done I was lacking iron. I now take an iron supplement. I don't know maybe lacking iron also had something to do with me and my AA condition.

Good luck.
Mary Rose

Page 1 of 2
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic
Jump to: