Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 pm.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Change of Texture
Author: kallieGuest
Post Tue Dec 23, 2003 11:04 pm

change in hair texture

My hair texture had slowly been changing after my 3rd child. Went from beautiful curl all over to wavy on top and curly on bottom. I had a perm last year then got a very short cut to get rid of it. As my hair has grown out it is SOOOO straight I cant curl it with a round brush and hair dryer anymore. It won't bend. Only a small part in back remains curly. But texture is very dry and there are places on the ends that look like they are fried. Why?

Author: yenGuest
Post Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:30 pm

diane-35 and change of hair texture?

i was wondering if anybody knows if my taking of diane-35 (for mild acne) could have anything to do with the change of my hair texture.

i'm 18, and asian; my hair is (or was) typically asian in the way that it was thick (as in a lot of it) but relatively fine and ABSOLUTELY straight. recently i have been noticing that many individual strands are becoming extremely coarse, tightly wavy and 'nappyish', running my hands down these strands feels like fishing wire. and it's getting worse; whenever i put my hands in my hair i can feel one or many of these incongruous strands.

i had no idea why my hair texture was changing until i thought hard about it and realised the only thing that has change in my life is my taking of diane-35 for about ... 6 months. which seems to coincide with the texture change. although i have been stressed out with school this year ... could this also be a factor?

so, hope somebody can shed some light for me. my hair is more important to me than a few pimples (which were not very bad anyway) !! thanks and sorry for the essay, lol

Author: miaGuest
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 12:08 am

Yen,

I am having the same problem as you are. I am an asian as well. I used to have thick straight hair. However, about a year ago, I had the Japanese straight perm done to my hair, my hair texture had started to change since then. It started getting coarse and nappy. some of my hair are ribbon-like and curly. I have been very frustrated. I don't even know what is causing this.

Mia

Author: renGuest
Post Wed Feb 25, 2004 3:41 pm

me too

yen and mia... i'm in the same situation as you. thick straight hair until 12-13... then all of a sudden hair became very wavy and frizzy. now that i'm 20 something it is even worse... such a mess... brushes are useless Sad

i wish there was a way to turn around.... does anyone have that luck?

Author: jillyGuest
Post Tue Mar 23, 2004 1:52 pm

Hair has thinned and changed texture

Hi I just wanted to share my story. A couple of years ago I permed my hair but hated the way it looked so I straightened it everyday. But then to top it all of I then decided that I needed really blonde highlights. My hair for a long time was extremely frizzy and thinning. It is slowly going back to normal but is still incredibly thin. I'll never do that again

Author: Ben50Guest
Post Wed Mar 31, 2004 7:11 pm

Change in texture

My apologies for a rather long message. I would be extremely extremely grateful for any ideas anyone may have as to what is happening to my hair and shall try to provide any info that may be of use. Over the space of the last 6 months, (most noticeably starting last September 2003) I have lost a lot of hair on the whole top of the head and particularly the front in an assymetrical pattern. At one point last November a large patch of scalp became very visible on one side of the front part of the head, this appears to be less visible now. However, as of about 5 weeks ago the texture of my hair on the whole top of the head began to change. The hair is now dry, very thin, quite straight and wavy (while was formerly thick and rather curly). This effect is most especially noticeable at the front of the scalp and within this 5 week period a very distinct and noticeable line has developed between this front section and the hair further back. The line is not symmetrical across the top of the head and on one side it curls toward the back of the scalp. The hair at the front of the head feels extremely thin. My impression is that there is still as much hair per mm of scalp as before except that now it is much much thinner. The evolution is extremely rapid and there are changes that are visible to me over a period of 4 to 5 days.

Me: Male of 35. I do not know of any male pattern baldness in the family, but I only know my mother and her family. Grandfather of 85 has plenty of hair. Am vegetarian and a very poor one, giving little attention to diet. Eating very little protein. Had a complicated operation to correct a breathing problem in my nose in Sept 2002, with 4 hours of general anaesthesia. Sept 2002 to Feb 2004 – lots of stress, which has finished since then. Fell ill in November 2003 and was given a 3 week course of antibiotics. In November I became disturbed by the hair loss. Began taking large protein supplements along with B vitamins. Went to see a Dermatologist who alas was not interested in my hair and didn’t actually examine my scalp or ask any questions, but prescribed Rogaine which I began taking. In early March the same Dermatologist prescribed Propecia. Am now taking both. My scalp is very itchy, and goes through periods with major dandruff, I suspect from the Rogaine.

The hair changes seem only to be increasingly rapid. The change in hair texture is very noticeable to others. Up until 6 months ago my hair was very thick so I perhaps had a head start which means I still have a good deal of hair, but not for long at this rate.

I have wondered:
What is the cause of the change in texture and hair loss
If the hair that is falling out will regrow
If the hair will become thicker in the future or not
If the Rogaine is responsible for the rapid change in texture
Why the hair changes are so rapid and how can i stop them

I have surfed a great deal of hair loss web sites, including this one, and learned a lot that I didn’t know but still feel at a loss as to the above. I would like to see a Trichologist but cannot find one. I actually live in Switzerland, not the US and perhaps this profession does not exist here.

Apologies again for taking up so much of your time with this. I just desperately would like to at least understand what is wrong.

ben

Author: adminSite Admin
Post Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:38 am

If you have a change in hair quality from dead straight to curly or kinky and/or a more coarse feel to the hair then the most likely curlprits are overprocessing or androgen hormone activity. If you have acne it suggests androgens are the problem. Women with acne and hair changes may have polycystic ovary syndrome or similar - worth checking out.

If the problem is overprocessing then the only long term answer is to let the old damaged hair grow out and let it be replaced with new hair. Cosmetic treatments like hot oil application can help some, but these are only temporary treatments that mask the problem rather than fix it.

Ben50 - Rogaine use can cause hair to become more coarse to the touch, but if the coarse hair was there before you started the rogaine then the problem is probably androgens and not the drug. Rogaine, or rather the alcohol and propylene glycol in it, can be irritating to skin in some people. You can get low alcohol and propylene glycol free minoxidil formulations on the net at http://www.minoxidil.com

Author: piepieGuest
Post Tue May 04, 2004 1:19 pm

When I was in middle school, I started getting blond highlights in my hair. I was around 13 at the time, and my hormones were really kicking in. I would get highlights a few times per year, and I continued this until my senior year in high school. From the time I started getting highlights in my hair, my hair became coarser and coarser and gradually developed a curl over time, to the point that in my senior year of high school (at 18 years of age) it was nearly impossible to straighten and looked like I had a perm. Now I am 21, I have not highlighted my hair since, and I am taking an oral contraceptive to regulate my hormones. I have noticed that ever since I stopped highlighting my hair and started taking OCs, my hair has gotten straighter and straighter over time. During the peak of my curl, I could barely get it to straighten and then I had to blow dry it sopping wet with tons of gel or serum in it. Now, I can blow dry it whenever, never have to use product, and sometimes I can even just let it air dry and it will only be a little wavy. It is getting much better! So stop dyeing and perming your hair, and make sure your hormones arent spazzing out and you should be fine!

Author: BoyGuest
Post Sun May 09, 2004 6:31 am

i'm not sure u believe it or not. i think masturbation increase testosterone level which will cause kinky hair. Those who have kinked hair do u masturbate often?

Author: GuestGuest
Post Wed May 12, 2004 5:01 am

Hair texture

[font=Arial:771a44c222] [/font:771a44c222] Thyroid can also change texture of hair, causing it to be dry.

Page 2 of 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Reply to topic
Jump to: