keratin.net, hair loss, and treatment information

Telogen effluvium

keratin.com > keratin.com Forum Index > Diagnosis / Decisions > Telogen effluvium
Hair Biology
Diagnosis / Decisions
Androgenetic Alopecia
Alopecia Areata
Inflammatory Alopecia
Other Alopecias
Hair Shaft Defects
Hirsutism / Hypertrichosis
Hair Cosmetics
Products and Services

FAQFAQ SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister
ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in
Reply to topic
The time now is Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:22 am.All times are GMT
<Previous Thread|Next Thread>
Telogen effluvium
Author: adminSite Admin
Post Wed Sep 01, 1999 10:51 am

To anonymous. Both stress and hormonal fluctuations can cause hair loss. Regain (Rogaine) side effects are usually transient - most frequent complaints are intial increase in hair shedding when starting treatment and scalp itching after application. A dermatologist can consult and discuss the possible causes. They should also be able to run hormone tests if this is thought to be a problem. A good dermatologist should take his/her patients seriously. I am sure those specializing in treating hair conditions would recommend seeing a dermatologist early. Some conditions are easier to treat if caught in the early stages.

Post Wed Sep 01, 1999 11:07 am

To Nancy. You have suggested several things that might promote hair loss. Your allergic reaction and drug treatment could promote telogen effluvium. Any thyroid problem can change over time and may promote TE too. As anyone who follows my posts will know; I always suggest seeing a dermatologist and sooner rather than later.

Cosmetic coloring (eg using shampoos) is probably OK. It is the more permanent processes that involve bleaching that can adversely affect hair fiber quality.

Author: AnonymousGuest
Post Tue Sep 07, 1999 9:46 pm

Mariellen or Kevin,

I am a young female who was diagnonsed with Telogen effluvium by 3 dermatologist 9 months ago and my hair continues to shed. I am on rogiane and presently going through the rogaine shed. I am getting lots of regrowth but it cannot keep up with the shedding at present. Some of the regrowth looks finer than normal and I was wondering if they were intermediate hairs.

Could you please explain waht this statement means.

"Intermediate hairs or inderterminate hairs contain some pigment are short and thin and represnt a stage between terminal and vellus hairs and may be replaced by either if the follicles change in size."

Does this mean that the intermediate hair has too fall out first to become a terminal hair or does it mean that they can just grow thicker?

The reason I ask is I do notice some of them falling out.

I have asked if my conditionis AGA but all the dermatologist say no as it does not fit the pattern of AGA. But I always thought if some of the hairs come in finer it is AGA. I this always the case?

Thank You

S

Author: MarieGuest
Post Wed Sep 08, 1999 1:02 pm

Hi,

It is Marie,
I'd like to know the answer to that young girl's question also. I am NOT using the Rogaine on the advice of my dermatologist,(who believes I have had a severe form of persistant TE) and my hair is still really falling (many,yes, are thinner hairs, but I have noticed a consideral amount of regrowth compared to how thin it had actually gotten at one point)...Can intermediate hairs make the hair look thicker, or is this a sign of FPB also?
Marie..

Author: edubeGuest
Post Thu Sep 09, 1999 8:15 am

I have been reading everyone's reaction to their hair loss with interest. I am a 48 year old female who has lost 95% of hair over entire body in about 3 months. I believe it was brought about by severe stress over my 16 year old daughter who has extensive behavior problems. I too used to be very vain about my appearance ever since I was a teenager, because I was told I was very unattractive and thus had no social life. I felt that life had been extremely unfair to me and I was very bitter. It is now obviously much worse than I ever thought it would be. But with age comes wisdom, hopefully, and I realize that I (and you) are much more than our hair. Please take this opportunity to reexamine your priorities if you can, while making sure of course that your hair loss is not a symptom of something more serious. I am currently using corticosteroids and using an herb prescribed by my doctor. I have 2 wigs for formal occasions. But my daughter, my "trigger", matters much more to me than my hair. If my hair grows back, great! If it doesn't, life will go on and I will make my contribution to it. So can you.

Post Fri Sep 10, 1999 9:01 am

"Intermediate hairs or inderterminate hairs contain some pigment are short and thin and represnt a stage between terminal and vellus hairs and may be replaced by either if the follicles change in size."

This means the intermediate hair has to fall out before a terminal thick hair or a fine vellus hair is grown. It can go either way. Intermediate hairs cannot suddenly become terminal or vellus hair. The follicle has to shed whatever hair it is currently growing and grow a new fiber of a different thickness. It cannot change size mid stream.

Post Fri Sep 10, 1999 12:46 pm

Kevin,
This is where I am really confused because I know I am shedding some very thin hairs and some very thick hairs and that they maybe replaced with either the vellus or terminal, however, when my scalp began burning and my hair started falling (rapidly)..my hair that was way past my shoulders, just seemed to have turned very "fine" and thin individually in what seem to be mid air. All of a sudden my hair texture changed and the hairs on my head were all or mostly thin from root to tip. My dermatologist didn't and doesn't know what to make of this occurence.
Marie

Post Fri Sep 10, 1999 12:49 pm

I also wanted to add that during the first year of this hairloss I was losing alot of baby fine short hairs and for the last 3 months I don't see them falling anymore, only very long Telegon hairs. I am wondering if those were the intermediate hairs that fell and will now be replaced with vellus or terminal hairs?
Thanks, (I know only time has the answers)
Marie

Author: AnonymousGuest
Post Fri Sep 10, 1999 6:20 pm

Kevin,

Based onn what you said above about intermediate hairs. Is it possible that some of my intermediate hairs that fell out from TE will be replaced by a terminal hairs. Is it normal for intermediate hairs to come in first sometimes. I know cancer patients sometimes get fine hair coming in that is later repleced by terminal hairs when the follicles are healed can that happen with TE as well. Not all my new hairs look like this just about 30% of them but still my Dermatologist does not think it is AGA.

My friend with TE saw Dr. Vera Price about the same thing Dr.Price said that intermediate hairs can be a sign of AGA but are not conclusive of AGA and it would take 1 year after recovery from TE to make any conclusion of AGA.

Do you what this all means.

S

Post Wed Sep 15, 1999 2:53 am

To Marie. Possibly you were losing hair before you noticed it and it was being replaced with fine hair. Perhaps then the loss accelerated (for whatever reason) affecting your remaining thick hair leaving only the previously affected thin hair.

Hair loss is not always a smooth progression and it need not affect all hair follicles equally. So called "overnight" changes in hair quality are usually due to some acceleration in hair dystrophy/loss from normal hair follicles. This increases exposure/noticability of any previously affected hair.

The short hairs that fell out initially suggest some hair follicles were in a truncated anagen growth pahse. They may have been terminal or intermediate hairs, but if there were very fine and unpigmented it suggests they were most likely true vellus hairs. If you do not have short hairs falling out any more that may suggest your hair follicles are returning to a prolonged and more normal anagen growth phase??

Page 7 of 49
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 47, 48, 49  Next

Reply to topic
Jump to: